You are just waking up. You feel stiffness in your body due to the static position you’ve been in while sleeping. Your joints are cracking and your musculature lacks tone, making you feel heavy and less functional. Well, if that happens to you, we have an adequate solution- Stretching.
Stretching is often regarded to as one of the key components that will greatly contribute to overall muscle recovery and function. By doing stretching exercises, you will get the blood moving through your musculature and start the day off feeling better. Below, we are going to show you some of the best upper body stretches, that will solely target the biceps, triceps, forearms and shoulders.
One Arm Wall Stretches
This is a stretching exercise used to stretch the biceps and pectoral muscles.
- Stand up straight.
- Place your palm on the wall with the fingers pointing down.
- Slowly lockout your elbow, stretching the bicep.
Behind The Back Bicep Stretch
This stretch targets the biceps and shoulder musculature.
- Grab your palms, crossing your fingers behind your back.
- Push up with your hands, until you feel a solid stretch in the bicep department.
- Hold the position for 10-20 seconds, then release.
Overhead Triceps Stretch
This is a simple triceps/lat stretch.
- Place your arm behind your head.
- Grab the elbow with the opposite arm.
- Pull the arm in slightly.
- Hold the position for 10-20 seconds, then relax.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
Frontal Triceps Stretch
- Lift your arm up at chest level.
- Grab your elbow and pull towards the opposite arm.
- Hold the position for 10-20 seconds, then relax and repeat on the opposite side.
Triceps Dip Stretch
This exercise stretches the triceps, shoulders, pectoral muscles and partly engages the back musculature.
- Sit down with your knees tucked and hands placed behind you.
- Slightly bend your elbows, while pulling your shoulder blades back.